Guest Pot by Hobby Ideas
Clay modeling & clay art, as compared to other art mediums is different in that it requires an understanding of the three dimensional world. As a parent, you should encourage your children to participate in clay craft. Clay art for kids helps them understand shape, form, and perspective, and therefore get a first lesson in geometry. Your child will learn to look and acutely see the world around them and discover their place in that world. It also encourages planning methods and problem solving as they map out their three dimensional project.
Clay modeling ideas such as where the door should go on a square castle, how tall can the tree be made before it gets unsteady, should the dog’s tail go out straight or curl up over his head or If the rabbit’s head is too big for its body and it may fall over, etc., will help your child to learn to look and acutely see the world around them and discover their place in that world. It also encourages planning methods and problem solving as they map out their three dimensional project.
Trial Project – A Simple Cylinder
- Start with a flat rectangular piece of slab clay and decorate and design as it lies on the table.
- Try to visualize how this flat rectangle can be used to make a standing vase.
- Roll the rectangular piece of slab clay into a cylinder.
- Make the joint appear seamless to get a hang of finishing.
Clay Pencil Holder
- A grinning flowerpot can be the perfect storage for your child’s colored pencils.
- Roll a large pink ball for the smile, two medium neon pink balls for the eyes, and one medium neon green ball for the eyelids and lips.
- Flatten the large pink ball, roll it smooth, and cut in half to make the smile.
- Roll a long thin green snakelike tube and arrange it at the bottom of the smile.
- For the eyes, flatten the green ball and cut it in half to make the eyelids.
- Then flatten the neon pink balls and press the green eyelids over them.
- Press the eyes and smile onto the pot, adding black or brown balls for pupils on the eyes.
- Allow it dry & it’s ready for use.
Fish Refrigerator Magnet
- Create three grape-size balls of clay and then twist the colors together until they look marbled.
- Flatten and roll smooth then cut a freehand fish shape with a plastic knife.
- Decorate it by pressing in colorful beads.
- Add a self-stick magnet to the back of each fish and you’re done!
- Decorate your kitchen fridge with a swarm of magnetic fish.
Click here to try clay modelling craft!
- Make a few balls out of play clay in different sizes.
- Contrast colors can be chosen to make the caterpillar more attractive.
- Join them together by alternating between the colors.
- Use a wire to make antennas
Most kids love to squeeze and squish play dough between their fingers. They enjoy rolling clay into snakes and balls or poke it with tools or old it into various shapes and sculptures. Encourage your child to think on their own and help them with the planning experience. It is a fun activity for kids & a great way for parents to bond with their children.
Visit Hobby Ideas for more DIY Craft.