Food blogger Isha Masoodi shares her exclusive recipe of Shahi Tukde, a rich, mughali dessert made of fried bread dipped in sugar syrup, coated with Rabri and garnished with dry fruits.
- Milk 1 ltr
- Sugar 2Tbsp or as desired
- cardamom powder ¼ tsp,
For Sugar Syrup:
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- Few strands saffron
- Kewra 1 tsp or a drop of kewra essence
For Pan Frying Bread:
- 5 to 6 slices of white/brown/whole wheat or milk bread (White bread preferred)
- Enough ghee for frying
- 12-15 almonds/badam, blanched and sliced
- 10 to 12 pistachios, blanched and sliced
- 1 medium Silver foil (Chaandi ka warq)
Blanching the Dry Fruits:
- Add the pistachios and almonds to the hot water boiling water.
- Cover and keep aside for 30 mins. Peel both and slice them. Keep aside.
Preparing the Rabri Or Sweet Creamy Thickened Milk:
- In a broad thick bottomed pan or sauce pan , take 1 litre of full fat whole milk and bring its first boil.
- And ¼ tsp cardamom powder. Put it on low medium heat while stirring the milk. Also keep on scraping the dried milk from the sides and add them back to the milk.
- Do stir and scrape often so that the milk does not get browned or burnt from the bottom as well as the sides. Keep on simmering, stirring, removing the clotted cream and scraping.
- Switch off when the milk has reduced and become thickened. Now add sugar. Stir well so that the sugar dissolves. The consistency and texture of the rabri should be thick just like condensed milk. The cooking time for Rabri will be roughly 1 hr on low flame.
Preparing Sugar Syrup:
- Mix ½ cup of sugar with ¼ cup water in a pan.
- Add saffron strands or a pinch of orange food color
- Keep the sugar solution on a low heat.
- The mixture would start to boil.
- Cook till you get a one thread consistency in the sugar syrup.
- Switch off the flame, when one thread consistency is reached, add cardamom powder and stir.
- In case the syrup cools and crystallizes before you soak the bread in it, then just add about 1 to 1.5 tbsp water and reheat the syrup.
Frying the Bread Slices:
- Slice the crusts of the bread. cut them into squares, rectangles or triangles.
- Heat the ghee in a frying pan. Place the bread slices and on a low to medium heat toast them.
- When one side is browned, flip and toast the other side. Flip once or twice more to get an even golden color and browning.
- You can also deep fry the bread pieces.
- Now dip the bread slices in the sugar syrup for 15-20 seconds. Coat the bread slices evenly with the sugar syrup.
- Arrange the sugar syrup soaked bread slices neatly in a serving tray or plate.
- Pour the rabri on the sugar syrup coated bread slices.
- Garnish with sliced blanched almonds and pistachios.
- Neatly finish with the silver foil.
For more recipes click here