Lucknow Special Mutton Shami Kabab
Ok, so this was long due.
Shami kabab’s authentic recipe straight from the kitchens of Lucknow.
You will need –
- Mutton keema – 500 gms
- Chana daal – half katooori
(I have a trick for perfect proportion of keema vs daal. For half kg of keema, I take 2 handfuls (muthhi) of daal. It makes aptly soft/crisp kababs).
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 table spoon
- Pepper corn (kaali mirch sabat) – 7-8
- Cloves – 4-5
- Black cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Bay leaf – 2
- Javitri – 2 strings
- Jaifal (nutmeg) powder – 1 pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1 tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Thinly sliced and fried onion – 1 small cup
- Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
- green chilli – 2-3 finely chopped
- Green coriander – finely chopped
- Put minced mutton (keema), chana daal, ginger garlic paste, all dry spices and khada garam masala (whole spices) in a pressure cooker.
- Add very little water (not more than half a cup)
- Pressure cook till nicely done
- Fry thinly sliced onions, keep aside
- On opening the cooker, if there is any water, dry it completely on high flame
- Grind the mutton mince nicely in a mincer or grinder
Mix fried onion, finely chopped green chilli, coriander and onions in the keema mixture.
Make small, round patties and shallow fry in a flat pan from both sides.